14-16 July 2014
Venue: Human Genetics Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo
This is a unique workshop; probably the first of its kind in the country, where lectures on many aspects of stem cells and their therapeutic potential will be discussed in lectures, and hands on practical sessions which will give the participants an opportunity to handle stem cells on their own . The resource persons will consist of faculty from the Manipal School of Regenerative Medicine who are experts in the field of Mesenchymal stem cells. The academic staff of the Human Genetics Unit will also offer their expertise in the field of characterization of stem cells. We believe that this workshop will generate awareness and enthusiasm as well as initiate the development of the field of stem cell biology in Sri Lanka . We look forward to welcome you at the workshop.
Manipal Institute of Regenerative Medicine, Bangalore India
1. Dr Ramesh Bhonde ( M. Sc Ph D) Professor & Dean Stem cell biologist with specialization in pancreatic regeneration in diabetes through stem cells.
2. Dr Indrani Datta (M. Sc. Ph D) Professor, Neuro physiologist Specialized in stem cell therapy for neurodegenerative diseases.
3. Dr Pawan Kumar Gupta, (MD Ph. D) Haematologist Specialization in stem cell clinical trials
University of Colombo, Faculty of Medicine
1. Prof. Vajira Dissanayake MBBS (Colombo), PhD (Nottingham), FNASSL – Professor & Medical Geneticist
2. Dr. Hemali Goonasekera MBBS (Colombo), DPath, MD – Senior Lecturer, Consultant Haematologist
3. Dr. Dulika Sumathipala MBBS (Colombo) and MSc in Clinical Genetics. – Lecturer, Clinical Geneticist
Topics and Resources covered
Introduction to stem cells
Pluripotent stem cells and their applications
Introduction to cell culture techniques , cryopreservation & revival
Characterization of stem cells: Microscopic anatomy of stem cells & Immunophenotyping
Mesenchymal stem cells and application of MSC Hematopoetic stem cells and use in therapeutics
Neural stem cells and pluripotent stem cells as sources of neural progenitors
Characterization of stem cells: Molecular genetic testing Stem Cell Therapy for Diabetes
Stem Cell Therapy for Neurodegenerative Diseases Perspective on clinical application of stem cells
Stem cell cryopreservation & revival
Isolation & propagation of MSC
Characterization of MSC
Assessment of cell viability & proliferation
How to apply
Applicants should be research scientists reading for / completed a degree in a biological or medical discipline including laboratory and clinical staff, as well as specialists in related fields.
The number of participants will be limited to 15 .
UPDATE : Registration is now closed.
Registration Fee : LKR 50,000.00
For further details contact Ms.Sakunthala : +(94) 112689545